Frequently Asked Questions | FAQs | WTTL Courses | WTTL
Sign up for news



Frequently Asked Questions

Jump to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about:

If you require any additional information please call us on 01380 723712 .

Apprenticeships and NVQs

What exactly is an NVQ?

National Vocational Qualifications are practical work based qualifications drawn up by industry for industry. Recognised by employers throughout the U.K. they are awarded to candidates who have proven their skill, knowledge and understanding of all aspects of their job.

A range of NVQ's have been drawn up by Skills for Logistics, our sector skills council, employers and unions and accredited by awarding bodies to meet the current and future skills demands of the logistics sector. At level 2, the equivalent of five GSCE at grade A-C, employers should be able to relate the standards to those an experienced operator can demonstrate.

How will the progamme benefit my operation?

Benefits run in line with employer input, where the candidate sees his employer value the new qualification many soft benefits in terms of motivation, reduced absenteeism and sickness and staff turnover may be gained.

Employers engaging fully with the training element of the programme have seen increased numeracy and literacy, increased productivity and reduction in work errors or accidents.

Is there any funding available for Apprenticeships and NVQs?

NVQs can be funded by the government's Train to Gain scheme. At the present time funding is limited, please contact us for up to date availability.

We are able to access funding for 16-18 year old apprentices. Apprentices who are 19 or over is on a case by case basis as funding is more limited.

How will the programme affect my operation?

The very nature of the qualification is that candidates are assessed against standards that are vocationally relevant, therefore the candidate needs to be observed performing their everyday tasks. This means the whole process has very little operational downtime for the employer.

Initially the assessor and candidate require time together to carry out an induction, skills scan and registration. From this point onward, unless off job training is required, all assessments can be combined into normal candidate work patterns i.e. if the candidate shift starts at 04.00 then this is when the assessor will attend to observe a working shift.

At the end of an observation the candidate and assessor will require time to debrief and set learning objectives prior to the next visit.

back to top

Dangerous Goods & Health and Safety

Do I require a Health & Safety policy?

If you are employing more than 5 persons then you do require a Health & Safety Policy.

Do I need to carry out Risk Assessments?

Yes, both employed and self employed must carry out risk assessments for workers and other people who could be affected by your operations.

Employers with 5 or more employees must additionally record findings of these assessments.

Must I appoint someone to assist in meeting Health & Safety Legislation?

Yes, a competent person or by a contractual agreement with an external person.

Do my agency and contract workers come under the Health & Safety Legislation?

Yes, you are responsible for informing them of skills and qualifications required and any health surveillance required.

Do I have to train my employees to use specialised equipment?

Yes, under PUWER (provision & use of work equipment regulations 1998).  This includes office equipment, hoists, ladders/portable power tools/ & hand tools such as hammers and socket sets.

Does my company need a DGSA?

As from 1st January 2000, any company or other organisation that transports dangerous goods should have an appointed qualified Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor. 

The Advisor will have to hold a certificate gained by passing written examinations. 

What other options do I have for DGSA?

The first option is to train one of your own employees to become your DGSA. 

Alternatively a contractual agreement with a DGSA Consultancy Service can be more convenient.

The ADR courses you offer are either packages or packages and tanks, I only want my drivers qualified to carry flammable liquids in tanks, do I need the full course?

ADR training and licensing is modular, breaking down into the core module, packages, tanks and 9 separate classes of product, therefore an employer may choose which elements his staff should be qualified for. In the case above, a candidate would require the core module, the tank module and class 3 (flammable liquids).

Do I need an ADR certificate if a I drive a Van?

As from 1st January 2007 ALL carriers of loads exceeding the load threshold of ADR will need to ensure they are in possession of an ADR Certificate. 

This legislation will apply to owner operators as well as larger transport companies.

back to top

Driver CPC

What is Driver CPC periodic training?

Periodic training is continuing professional development for bus, coach
and lorry drivers. It carries on throughout the professional driver’s career –
no matter how infrequently they drive.

What licence categories will be affected by Driver CPC?

C1, C, CE, D1, D & DE.

Who will deliver Periodic Training?

  • Training providers and employers can apply to the Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training (JAUPT) to become a provider of periodic training.
  • As well as being approved as a provider each course must be approved.
  • Providers must have trainers per course accredited and prove their knowledge and experience in the subject area.

How will Driver CPC-holding be enforced on the road?

In the same way as holding an appropriate driving licence, particularly by the police, VOSA, and DVLA. Also, any EU enforcement body can ask a driver for proof that his/her CPC status is current while they are driving in other Member states, and issue a penalty if a driver is in breach of the Directive.

What are the requirements of Driver CPC Periodic Training?

  • All existing commercial drivers will be required to complete 35 hours of approved training prior to September 2013 (PCV) & 2014 (LGV).  And thereafter in five year cycles **
  • These qualifications apply to all drivers wishing to work in a commercial capacity, including drivers of category D1 & C1.
  • The training will be delivered in minimum 7 hour modules (or two 3.5 hour modules)
  • Upon completion of 35 hours of training candidates will be issued a Driver Qualification Card. (free to holders of a photocard licence).

**It is important that you allow yourself enough time to complete your training within the five year period. There is no advantage in delaying your periodic training.

Driver CPC requires you to complete a minimum of 35 hours of periodic training during every five year cycle for as long as you wish to continue driving professionally.

Will it be an offence for someone to drive without a Driver CPC or DQC when they should have one?

Yes there will be penalties if someone drives without carrying their Driver Qualification Card (DQC). There will also be penalties for Operators who cause or permit a driver to drive without a Driver CPC or DQC.

Can the 35 hours training be carried out flexibly – over several weeks/months/years?

The driver has flexibility as to how he/she takes the 35 hours training over this time. So for example a driver may complete a two day course in the first year, and a three day course in the fifth year.

Under CPC rules, can an 18 year old drive a full size lorry?

Yes, under the new regulations a person of 18 can acquire a category C (followed by a Category C+E) licence as long as they also acquire the initial Driver CPC.

Does holding an operator CPC exempt me?

Whilst these new qualifications are similarly named they do not overlap with operator CPC, therefore holders of an operator CPC who wish to drive commercially must undertake the new qualifications.

How will I prove I hold Driver CPC?

  • You will be able to prove you hold Driver CPC by a Driver Qualification Card (DQC).
  • The card will be issued to new drivers automatically on successfully passing the initial qualification. Existing drivers (holding a GB photo card licence) will be automatically issued with the card on completion of the 35th hour of periodic training.
  • You must carry your DQC whilst driving and there will be penalties if you are found to be driving professionally without one.
  • For existing drivers, their ‘acquired rights’ means that their driving licence will be accepted as proof of their Driver CPC status until they have completed their 35 hours training within the first 5 year cycle at which point they will be issued with a DQC.

How will Wttl deliver DCPC Courses?

We currently have 3 primary methods of delivery: 

1) Since September 08 (PCV) & September 09 (LGV) a schedule of public courses will be offered at Devizes and other centres around the UK allowing employers to send individual employees to a generic DCPC session.

2) Employers can arrange to have specific courses delivered at our centre or on their own premises. 

3) Where employers wish their own instructor trained to deliver DCPC modules under Wttl, once trained, Wttl will charge per candidate for administration, certification and uploading to DSA.


back to top

Fork Lift & MHE

What is the difference between a Counterbalance and Reach Truck?

The primary difference between the two most common types of lift truck is partially explained in the names, the counterbalance has a fixed set of forks to the front and a large weight to balance any load to the rear, due to the overall size of this vehicle it is used primarily in yard operations for tasks such as loading and unloading vehicles.

The reach truck is fitted with a set of forks that can be extended to reach forward into racking etc. in order to pick or place goods. Due to this ability to manoeuvre in smaller spaces the truck is normally found inside warehouse operations working on operations such as bulk picking.

I am used to using a lift truck, why can't I just take the test?

Unlike the DSA driving licence, there is no lift truck licence. Rules concerning the use of mechanical handling equipment are governed by the H.S.E. who place more emphasis on the content and understanding of training.

The programme supplied by R.T.I.T.B. is approved by H.S.E. and follows set syllabus with an end test to confirm the training is understood and can be applied practically.

So what training will I need?

The standard RTITB course for Counterbalance & Reach Truck is laid down for a maximum of 3 trainees to one trainer. For a complete novice the syllabus requires 5 days of training.

Where an operator has previous experience but no record of formal training then 3 days are required, and where a certificated operator is looking to refresh their training then one day should be sufficient. 

What training will I need to obtain a HIAB (Lorry Mounted Lift Truck) ticket?

Lorry Mounted Lift Truck is an ALLMI accredited course and is based on a maximum of 4 trainees to one trainer. For a complete novice the syllabus requires 2 days training. Where an operator is experienced or require's refresher training 1 day is required.

I was trained last year on a counterbalance, do I need another complete course to drive a reach truck?

No, whilst adequate training is required for each type of truck, RTITB recognise most of their syllabus is transferable knowledge therefore an existing counterbalance operator should only require a one day conversion course to transfer to new equipment.

I have been offered a one day course for six staff by a local instructor, why should I buy Wttl's novice training instead?

Whilst there is no outright definition of required training, in the unfortunate case of an accident at work the emphasis falls on the employer to prove the staff involved have received adequate training.

By choosing a provider training to a syllabus approved by the HSE this should be a matter of providing the accredited certificate. Buying unapproved training may make this a more complex and subjective matter.

How can I prove to an employer I have been trained if I have lost my original certificate?

With effect from the 1st April 2006 RTITB have introduced their National Operators Registration Scheme. This is a national database of operator training and as such makes proof of training and the reissue of certificates a simple phone call.

I completed my RTITB Lift Truck Instructor course with Wttl on a counterbalance my company use reach truck can I still instruct?

Once you have successfully completed the instructor course RTITB will recognise your ability to instruct on any plant you hold an operators certificate for. Therefore if you held an operator certificate for a reach truck prior to your instructor course this may be added to your instructor certificate.

back to top

Operator CPC

Once I have passed my CPC National do I need to renew it?

No, the CPC qualification does not need to be renewed.

I took my CPC National in 1980 is that ok?

Unfortunately, OCR recently changed the criteria for adding CPC International to an already acquired National CPC. 

If you obtained you CPC National certificate before October 1999 all 4 exams (3 National & 1 International) will need to be taken.  If you obtained your CPC National after October 1999 you only need to take the CPC International exam.

What happens if I fail a CPC exam?

If you are unsuccessful with one or more exams you may come and re-sit the exam/s on the next available exam date. There are no limits to the amount of times you may sit each exam.

How long will I have to wait for my CPC results?

The exam results usually take a minimum of 8 weeks to come through.  Once we have the results we will let you know immediately.

back to top

Vehicle Based Courses

What are the procedures for obtaining a new vocational licence?

A) Obtain relevent application form D2 Application for LGV or PCV driving licence. 

B) Obtain revelent medical application form D4 which needs to be completed by a G.P. 

C) Forms D2 & D4 when completed can be sent to DVLA and a provisional licence should be issued.     

D) Upon receipt of the provisional licence Wttl can carry out an assessment of driving ability and at this point the theory test will be booked.

E) Upon passing the theory test elements, practical training and test may be booked.                                                                                                     

What are the procedures for adding entitlements to a vocational licence?

A) upon successful completion of a new vocational licence test your provisional licence will be replaced with a new licence showing the vocational category, this document also shows the provisional entitlement to add the trailer towing entitlement.  

B) Wttl can now carry out a driving assessment in the new combination and plan practical training and test.

How long does the whole process take?

From applying for your provisional licence to starting your practical course you should allow between 4-6 weeks depending on the time taken to process your provisional licence application and taking and passing a theory test.

Where can I get the relevant forms?

Wttl can post you all the relevant forms required (D2 & D4) and information on medicals, the forms may also be obtained from DVLA or the Post Office.

Who books my tests?

Wttl can book both your theory and practical test for you. 

Why do I need adriving assessment?

As driving abilities differ from candidate to candidate, we can carry out an assessment of driving ability.  This is to establish if further training is required prior to attending our standard 5-day course.  During the assessment if a theory test is required this will be booked and theory test training is also available.

Do I need to do C1 before C?

You do not need to do your C1 before C.

If I passed my test prior to 1997 do I need to do a D1 (Minibus) test?

Providing you are NOT driving a minibus for hire or reward then you do not need to sit a minibus (D1) test.  If, however, you are driving a minibus (D1) for hire or reward then YES you do need to sit a minibus (D1) test.  You will need to undertake a medical, apply for provisional entitlement and sit tests on theory knowledge, hazard perception and practical driving.

If I passed my test after 1997 do I need to do a D1 (Minibus) test?

Yes obtaining your car driving licence after 1997 doesn't allow you to drive a minibus (D1) under the above circumstances  You will need to undertake a medical, apply for provisional entitlement and sit tests on theory knowledge, hazard perception and practical driving.

Special exclusions may apply.

back to top